- 2 lbs of ground chuck (preferably 80/20)
- 2 whole white onions
- 2 tablespoons of kosher salt
- American cheese slices (or thin cheddar slices)
- 6-12 brioche buns
- Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1/3rd Ketchup
- 1/3rd Mustard
- 1/3rd Mayo
- Place a griddle on a gas grill and preheat with the burners on medium high.
- Dice two onions, place them in a bowl and add kosher salt. Allow rest for at least 15 minutes and then strain out the onion brine. Mix in the brine from dill pickles as well to taste.
- Once the griddle is preheated, oil the griddle place two diced onions on the griddle.
- Between two pieces of parchment paper, flatten your ground chuck. Aim for a rectangular shape that is a little larger than your package of buns. Once rolled to a 1/4 inch thick, cut the beef into a rectangle and cut into as many individual patties as you require
- Once the onions are translucent, place the burger patties on top of the onions and allow to cook
- Once the patties are brown, place cheese slices on top of the patties and place the tops of the buns on the cheese. Place the bottoms of the buns on the tops of the cheese.
- Add the onion/pickle brine to the griddle and quickly tent the griddle with foil to steam the cheese and buns
- Once the burgers are cooked, mix your sauce ingredients together and top the base of your buns to get them ready for the beef patties
- Build your burgers! In this recipe, you can use as much or as little cheese as you like and go with one or two beef patties depending on your preference. Hope you enjoy.